Thursday, May 14, 2009

Graduating highschool

Went over to my ex husband's to discuss college plans for my graduating senior. He has applied to and been admitted to UCSB. It's not a good time taking funds out from his college fund considering it has dropped approximately 40%, so we are talking about additional ways to finance his education. One idea that came up was for my son to take a low interest student loan. He wasn't to happy about that idea. We also talked about him working part time to help cut the costs. He wasn't too keen on that idea either, but is going along with it. The key wording here is "going along with it". What the hell happened with this generation? Or is it just here in California? I am from Sweden, and I can't recall anybody ever offering to pay for my college education. I don't think I know anybody in Sweden who had their education paid for by their parents. In Sweden kids rely on student loans and grants in addition to working part or full time. At least back when I used to live there.....I know, it's been awhile, and things may have changed. But it's this sense of entitlement that really gets to me. It's going to cost us approximately $23,000 a year for tuition, room, and board. Is it just me or isn't that a bit crazy? And it's not like he is the only one. We have three more after him. Well, the last one will give us a few years before we have to stress over college costs, but the other two are just round the corner from graduating high school. So, I think it's just fair that my son takes some responsibility for his own education and help pay for some of the expenses. There are parents out there who will second mortgage their house and work two jobs to put their kids through school. I told my son I will help him to the best of my ability, nothing more and nothing less. Any thoughts anyone...???

No comments:

Post a Comment