Tuesday, February 9, 2010

When Parents are Getting Older

So the little one is sleeping and it's raining outside. I should really be using this time productively, but instead I find myself drawn to my laptop. But, I can't concentrate. I'm worried about my dad. He is 72 and he has lung fibrosis. He was diagnosed a couple of years ago, and it has progressed rapidly. He now uses oxygen at home, but still gets short of breath doing minimal activity. Spoke with my mom today (they're in Sweden), and she said his bloodpressure has been labile the last couple of days, and on top of that he has the stomach flu. I told her he needs to be admitted to the hospital. He actually had a doctor's appointment today, but he cancelled it because he felt too sick!!! I couldn't speak to my dad directly since he was sleeping, but I did tell my mom to convince him to go to the hospital tomorrow. I'm suspecting he may have a partial blockage in one of the coronary arteries, and it needs to be checked out before it becomes completely blocked. I don't believe his shortness of breath is due only to the fibrosis since this developed very recently. My mom told me he needs to sit down and rest going from the kitchen to the bedroom. I just quit my nursing job to concentrate on the toddler and my family, but feel I may need to travel to Sweden and be my father's nurse for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Monica, you must be so worried. I can understand you wanting to go there for a while. Older folks tend to not want to go to the hospital ever....even when they really need to. Let me know what you decide to do. I will keep your dad in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete