Wednesday, February 24, 2010

No End in Sight to Sleepless Nights

So yesterday I had a doctor's appointment. My regular 6 months checkup. My doctor is great; she is a few years younger than me and has two younger kids. So, she can really relate to my sleepdeprivation. She told me to try to break the cycle with Benadryl. I told her I've tried it and that it didn't work. She asked me about the dose, and I told her. "Double it" was her reply. If that didn't work, she told me to explain to the toddler that if he didn't stay in his bed and sleep all night we would have to get a lock on his door. "You need to explain to him that mommy and daddy really need their sleep" she further explained. Yeah, right! I tell my toddler everynight that he needs to stay in his bed and sleep. He always happily says "yes".

Anyhow, a long story short, I tried her advice. I gave him the Benadryl at bedtime. He fell asleep after a few stories, but like always woke up at midnight the first time. I went in and laid down with him for a few minutes and then went back to my bed. At 3:30 he woke up crying again. I went back to his room and soothed him back to sleep. At 4:30 he was at it again. My husband got up and tried to get him back to sleep. But I could hear him. He wanted me..."mama's bed, mama's bed". So, needless to say, I went in there again and my husband went back to sleep. Finally, I managed to get him to fall back to sleep. But, at 6:30 am he was done. He got up, and I heard him go in to our bedroom to wake my husband up. I put a pillow over my head and went back to sleep for another hour. So much for that. But, I just don't think I'm ready for the "I will put a lock on your door advice".

No comments:

Post a Comment