Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sleepless in T.O

Went to a party last night. Didn't drink much and didn't stay late because I knew I had to work the next day. I went to bed at 22:30 and was sound asleep in 20 minutes. So, when I woke up a couple of hours later I thought, no big deal, just turn around and go back to sleep. Hell, that was easier said than done. I tossed and turned all night long. I looked at the clock with dismay...first it was 1:22 am. I had slept a total of 2 1/2 hours. Then it went downhill from there. The clock turned 2 am and I still couldn't sleep, at 3:30 am I was getting a little worried and annoyed. My alarm clock was set for 5:30 am. Did I mention that I work a 12 hour shift in an ICU caring for critically ill patients. It doesn't take a science degree to figure out that one need to be sharp and on the ball in such environment. At 4:30 I still hadn't slept and, pathetic as I was, I woke my husband and said "What do I do?" "I haven't slept all night"....Call in sick was his reply. So, I did! I felt like a looser because I had called my work the day before and told them I was available to work if they needed me. Now, I felt like I left them hanging with one nurse short. So, in hindsight, don't go to a party the night before work if you know you really need that sleep. I should have said no to the party or no to work. Trying to do both messed me up. ...$450 went up in smoke just like that! Sorry kids, back to school shopping will have to wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment